Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

The time is imminent...

General chat about Mass Effect or otherwise.

Re: The time is imminent...

Postby giftfish » 06 Jun 2016, 20:43

CreeperLava wrote:I like to use Dexpot when I'm using a single monitor setup. It's a utility for virtual desktops. Something Linux has already implemented, but Windows is slow to integrate it. Very useful, especially in a 2x2 (= 4 desktops total) grid with keyboard shortcuts like Ctrl-left/right/up/down to navigate it. Not sure how useful it would be with such a big screen, you'd have to try it for yourself.

Windows 10 has virtual desktops, actually. I'm new to using them, but they work fabulous :D

The issue with my modding workspace is that it in itself is so large. The more tools I can view at once -- without switching anything -- the better, as I'm usually having to cross reference data among several programs. Even having to Win+tab to bring up Task View (which also shows the virtual desktops) and arrow through to select the correct virtual desktop interrupts the workflow too much; it's better if I can get it all to fit on one.

However, this scenario will be *very* useful:

VD1 - Modding tools
VD2 - VideoStudio
VD3 - Audacity, Wwise, and Fob's AFC Creator
VD4 - Origin & Mass Effect 3

Working with VD1 and VD4, right now. Looking forward to when I get to add VD2&3 to the mix :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby Alvaro » 07 Jun 2016, 22:47

Woah! Congrats Giftfish! That´s not a game rig but a mass relay! And about that ridiculously wonderful curved display... well, Normandy consoles were not that good, I think!

I´m with you about routing all those components wiring. In my book, well worth the extra work always too. Ok... you won´t get extra performance but it is always a nice touch of class, isn´t it? ;)

Looks fantastic!
Alvaro

PS Have you already ordered an anchor? With such collection of low noise fans the case could start hovering anytime!
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby giftfish » 07 Jun 2016, 23:27

@Alvaro -- Lol. No anchor needed. The fans are actually very quiet for a few reasons:

-I bought good fans.
-The case is huge and well-ventilated, so they don't have to work very hard.
-Most are regulated by the mobo, so they only speed up when temperature dictates it (see the previous point about ventilation).
-The case has soundproofing.

So, yeah... I'm greatly enjoying it. And the monitor -- once calibrated -- is nothing short of glorious. I'm very, very happy with it.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Alvaro » 08 Jun 2016, 17:26

@Giftfish: soundproof case too?! Oh, well... so no chance to (try to!) hear those already silent low rotation fans... :shock:

BTW, looks to me it also include dust filters for the intake fans, Am I worng? Those are a must too, I think... I hate dust inside the case even more than loose wirings! :lol:

I admire your fine taste. It´s perfect!
Alvaro
Alvaro
User

Have thanks: 12 time

Postby giftfish » 08 Jun 2016, 18:36

Alvaro wrote:@Giftfish: soundproof case too?! Oh, well... so no chance to (try to!) hear those already silent low rotation fans... :shock:

BTW, looks to me it also include dust filters for the intake fans, Am I worng? Those are a must too, I think... I hate dust inside the case even more than loose wirings! :lol:

I admire your fine taste. It´s perfect!
Alvaro

Yep, there are removable dust filters, as well.

Overall, it's a great case. There are a couple things that could be improved upon, but for the most part, the design is excellent :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby KingFeraligatr » 12 Jun 2016, 23:41

About the DRM, yeah it's a pain in the ***. I got a cracked copy of ME1 just so I can play the game without Origin. I don't want to log onto some service for the only ME game I'm going to play even rarely. GOG is such a convenience.
I call myself the Typo Master. So if you see a typo in my posts, I'm sorry.
Link to the forums of my Mass Effect Rewrite: http://kfmerewriteforums.proboards.com/
KingFeraligatr
User

Have thanks: 14 time

Postby giftfish » 14 Jun 2016, 18:07

Holy moly, I love SSDs.

Treescan for ME3 with the base game + EC + CE = 4:17s.

Jesus.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 14 Jun 2016, 20:22

I can't live without SSDs anymore^^. I just bought a 500 Go SSD, I couldn't stand installing my mods on an HDD. I'll probably switch to W10 as well as soon as it is shipped, we'll see how that goes.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Jun 2016, 21:22

@[email protected] -- I think both of you said you built similar systems to mine. Do either of you have an ASUS board? I have a couple questions and can't get a response on their pseudo-official forums (shocking, I know).
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby Deager » 25 Jun 2016, 01:24

Yeah, I have an ASUS board. What's up?
Deager
Modder

Have thanks: 164 time

PreviousNext

Return to Off Topic