Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Toolset Idea: Standalone AutoTOC.exe

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Toolset Idea: Standalone AutoTOC.exe

Postby Kinkojiro » 02 Jun 2016, 00:16

I am wondering how difficult it would be to create a standalone exe that will simply auto-TOC the entire game (or a command prompt set a specific DLC directory).

The reason I am asking is that big mods like EGM, CEM, Backoff and ME3Re are increasingly having multiple install options. Either we have to include multiple TOC.bins for the installer or request that users download the toolset and manually set everything up. Unfortunately we have no guarantee that users actually do that properly.

It would be great if we can install a quick AutoTOC.exe run it then delete it.

I have no idea about the ease/difficulty of coding this outside the existing toolset but thought I would suggest it.
Kinkojiro
Modder

Have thanks: 249 time

Re: Toolset Idea: Standalone AutoTOC.exe

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 02 Jun 2016, 03:49

I think it would be fairly trivial to isolate the autoTOC code into a standalone exe.

Somewhat related: I've thought for a while that it would be cool if the binkw32 could do an AutoTOC every time the game started up. If I could remember how to write C++, I could probably make an ASI plugin that would work with ErikJS's binkw32. Then no one would ever have to worry about TOCs ever again.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Have thanks: 288 time

Postby CreeperLava » 02 Jun 2016, 06:18

Don't you need a tree to make an AutoTOC ? Otherwise how can the tool know what it should update ? So users would still have to download the toolset.

I like your idea Sir, sounds very useful !
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby FemShep » 02 Jun 2016, 17:12

That'd be cool sir. Not sure if binkw32 is loaded before testpatch though.

@creeper no you don't need a tree. It's just file sizes.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page

FemShep has been thanked by:
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 02 Jun 2016, 19:30

Here you go: https://github.com/ME3Explorer/AutoTOC/ ... s/tag/v1.0

Let me know if you have any problems with it, or need it to do something else.

SirCxyrtyx has been thanked by:
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Postby FemShep » 02 Jun 2016, 20:57

What about SFARs for MP/TestPatch? I have a list of file sizes for sfars so you can just skip toc on sfars of specific sizes. It's how my mod manager non-destructive Autotoc works.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 02 Jun 2016, 21:49

This doesn't modify the TOCs inside SFARS. It only TOCs the base game and extracted DLC.

And although integrating TOCing into the Binkw32 is a cool idea, it's probably not going to happen anytime soon unless Erik JS wants to tackle it. In the meantime though, you could stick AutoTOC.exe in the "Mass Effect 3/Binaries" folder and then put this batch file there and use it to launch ME3: (using whatever the ME3 path is on your computer of course)
Code: Select all
CALL "AutoTOC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3"
CALL "Win32\MassEffect3.exe"

Never written a batch file before but this seems to work.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Postby giftfish » 02 Jun 2016, 22:44

@Sir -- Another thing to consider is I know myself and some other folks use Heff's DLLs files, as his incorporate error logging, which is very useful for tracking down issues.

Quick question about the download. By "Pass" do you mean drag and drop the root folder to the EXE? I don't have ME3 installed yet on my new machine, yet.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby FemShep » 02 Jun 2016, 23:59

Drag and drop the folder should pass it as well.

ASI modding is very difficult, only people I have seen do it for ME3 is WV and erikJS. I spent some time with him on my forums developing an ME3 SDk but I am not skilled enough in C++ to actually get the damn thing to work. There is a huge set of possibilities there.

@sir you don't need the call parts of the script. That's for calling another batch file as a subroutine. Works regardless though. One could make a script that fetches the me3 registry key and figure it from there or you could do it from c# as well (and override via command line). Latter would be easier as then it's pretty much a straight up exe.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby SirCxyrtyx » 03 Jun 2016, 00:17

giftfish wrote:@Sir -- Another thing to consider is I know myself and some other folks use Heff's DLLs files, as his incorporate error logging, which is very useful for tracking down issues.

One of the ASIs ErikJS has made does Heff's error logging, so that wouldn't be an issue. Probably not going to be something I do anyway though.

giftfish wrote:Quick question about the download. By "Pass" do you mean drag and drop the root folder to the EXE? I don't have ME3 installed yet on my new machine.

Yeah, I hadn't thought of that, but that's one way to do it. Any way to give the path as an argument will work.

FemShep wrote:@sir you don't need the call parts of the script. That's for calling another batch file as a subroutine. Works regardless though.

I see. Makes it even simpler.
Code: Select all
"AutoTOC.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Mass Effect 3"
"Win32\MassEffect3.exe"

Edit:
New idea. Instead of re-writing all the AutoTOC code in C++, I could make an ASI that just called AutoTOC.exe.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

Next

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development