Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[Article] TPF Tools

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

[Article] TPF Tools

Postby giftfish » 28 Feb 2016, 15:35

Article -- TPF Tools
Status -- WIP
URL -- None yet

And, just getting started, FYI. Today's project.

giftfish has been thanked by:
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: [Article] TPF Tools

Postby CreeperLava » 28 Feb 2016, 15:54

Finally ! Awesome, though this one will certainly take quite a bit of time^^.
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby giftfish » 28 Feb 2016, 16:30

CreeperLava wrote:Finally ! Awesome, though this one will certainly take quite a bit of time^^.

Well, I hope to get a good portion of it done today. I'll likely save periodically, since I"m paranoid about losing my work. But, assume that I always have it open, so don't try to sneak in any ninjaedits, lol!

I think it will actually be simpler than I've been thinking. With the Textures in Mass Effect article, and with Texplorer having to build the tree, etc, TPF Tools is really more like Image Engine, but on steroids. Similar to ModMaker, but actually simpler, since TPF Tools is only textures.

So, we'll see how it goes :)
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 28 Feb 2016, 21:25

Got a good bit done on this today, but it's still a WIP.

No suggestions, yet, please :]
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 29 Feb 2016, 18:16

@Kfreon -- I need some clarification on the "Convert" feature in TPF Tools.

1. Is this supposed to be functional?

2. How is it supposed to be used? In addition to Autofix? In place of autofix only when a file type conversion is needed?

3. How does this relate to Image Engine?

For me, this feature doesn't seem to work. If I load up a copy of the cabin photo saved as a PNG, the tool can't do a thing with it unless the hash is in the name. If the hash isn't in the name, it throws an error. Editing the hash field -- which seems like would solve this problem -- does not.

If I edit the file name manually and place the hash in it, then TPF Tools will match it to the tree and tell me it's the wrong format (which it is). Then, if I "Convert" it tells me it "Failed to extract the texture for conversion".

Autofix seems to fix the texture. It changes it to DDS/DXT1, and generates mips.

So, Convert is for...?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 29 Feb 2016, 18:31

@Kfreon -- The above brings me to another question:

1. Short of the ability to copy and paste, does the editable hash field serve any other purpose?

I assumed it was there so users could change the hash of the selected texture. For example, if they mistakenly scanned on texture-modded files, so they could fix the incompatibility in TPF Tools and still install the new texture. I've tried to edit the hash to see if I could match a loaded texture to a different one in the tree, and this doesn't seem to work. I even tried saving the change into a new TPF, which also didn't work.

So, is copying and pasting the sole purpose? (This is definitely worth it, just to be able to search hashes in Texplorer; I just need to be clear for the wiki).
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 29 Feb 2016, 23:23

@Kfreon --

And, two more questions.

1. What's the purpose of "Rebuild TPF"? As far as I can tell, the user can't select only certain textures to bundle into a new TPF. Is it only meant for loose textures, textures in MODs, or if the user wants to make a METPF?

2. How many textures are safe to load/install at once? I know we used to tell people not to load "too many". This is pretty vague, so we should really provide a number in the wiki... or something. I'm guessing it's also impacted by the amount of PCCs affected. Thoughts?
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby CreeperLava » 01 Mar 2016, 06:17

1. Rebuild TPF adds all the loaded textures in a TPF or METPF.
2. There were some ameliorations with the RAM usage of ME3Explorer a while ago, which means that you should be able to load as many textures as you want. It's still problematic to let such a long process run though, because if your computer or me3explorer encounters a problem (power surge or stall), then you have to start everything from the beginning.
CreeperLava
User

Postby KFreon » 01 Mar 2016, 07:32

@gift:
1) Convert - Can't remember what this was supposed to do. Removed.
2) The hash should be able to be edited there in case you want to test it on something else for some reason, but mostly to fix an incorrect hash. As it was, you had to press enter to commit the change. I've altered it so that a focus loss also commits the change when the value is valid.
3) Rebuild is useful for joining a bunch of TPF's or converting a Mod to a TPF.
4) As Creeper said, you should be able to load pretty much as many as you want, HOWEVER if you load a bunch of reeeally big textures, like 8k's or a tonne of 4k's with a lot of stuff going on in you PC or <4gb ram, you're going to have a bad time.
Much more likely to have issues in those situations. Not saying you will, but it is possible. Reducing the thread count in the settings can help with that.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby CreeperLava » 01 Mar 2016, 08:28

8k textures ? I difn't know that was a thing for Mass Effect. I'll have to test it for sure, just to see how it would look in game. Might event try 16k :D. Push the game to it's limits^^.
CreeperLava
User

Next

Return to Wiki Development