Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Trying to switch out liara and sheps head,

Area for discussions related to meshes/models, 3D modeling programs, and the like. Can cross over into texture-related discussion. As with other non-toolset related areas, answers not guaranteed.

Trying to switch out liara and sheps head,

Postby rick_rolled » 29 Jan 2014, 23:03

]I am trying to switch sheps head with liara's head (tentacles and all) and I am having a hard time figuring out which files must be changes to make this happen. I tried looking at the properties of the texture files to get the pcc files, even though I switched out the mesh, it seemed as if it didnt do anything. I see people have messed around with EDI's head and Ash face, is Shep doable? can i put liars head on shep?

if you can, what files do I need to replace, or could you point me in the direction to find out?

really really appreciate anyone who reads this and their time. Thanks again!
Last edited by rick_rolled on 29 Jan 2014, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.
rick_rolled

Re: Trying to re-structure sheps head

Postby Ottemis » 29 Jan 2014, 23:18

Right, what you're asking to do is potentially complicated so I'm going to throw a bunch of links at you that you can check out to see what you need for what you're looking to do exactly:
It ranges over varying complexities from gibbed texture and colour editing to offset bone editing to importing custom headmorphs into 3DS Max.

http://elemods.blogspot.nl/2013/06/mass ... rials.html
http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.p ... ct-modding
http://social.bioware.com/2207240/blog/212643/
http://nhaneh.tumblr.com/post/238549865 ... pt-edition

While these are mostly written from femshep's perspective the principle is the same across gender.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby rick_rolled » 29 Jan 2014, 23:29

Great thank you so much for the quick response! I will definitely have some studying to do tonight!! Thanks again and hopefully I can make magic tonight ha!
rick_rolled

Postby rick_rolled » 29 Jan 2014, 23:34

ah, I guess what I meant to say was take for instance, jacks head and put it on sheps body. I already switched meshes with a few files, but it hasnt really changed, Or even try something harder like, put liaras head on sheps body.
rick_rolled

Postby Ottemis » 29 Jan 2014, 23:37

I know that in the past these things were achieved by using for instance Jack's head as a helmet and shrinking shep's custom head, obviously this is a crude method.
If you preserve the number of bones for shep's head, you should be able to import jack or Liara's head for it instead afaik. In the most basic sense obviously as you'd need to do quite some texture work as well to get those heads to work for shep.

There are tutorials on how to use the mesh tools in me3explorer in the tutorial section here, I've personally written a tutorial on creating custom hair that you could possibly use parts from (aka grabbing the right bones/ weight painting etc / basic 3DS functionality). Also you'll no doubt need Nhaneh's guide on importing custom shep, if only to learn how to feed your edited mesh back into the game the appropriate way replacing a custom shep head.

I reckon the easiest way to test the theory is by replacing one squadmates head with another to start, so you understand the general principle as replacing Shep's head will add further difficulty.
Also keep in mind when doing mesh replacements that your mesh might have several instances in the gamefiles and the location it's being loaded from can differ, so you'll conveibaly need to replace your mesh in several places for it to consistently work.
Last edited by Ottemis on 29 Jan 2014, 23:46, edited 3 times in total.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Postby rick_rolled » 29 Jan 2014, 23:44

right, I have tons of experience with meshes, not to familiar with all the files that need to be switched with the new mesh head. The few meshes I have replaced using liara's head have absolutely not changed sheps head appearance at all. THe game runs fine, just no changes seemed to have taken affect lol, its very weird! I usually create clothing and armor meshes, so this area is outside of my realm. I have all the files memorized for the clothes but not for heads. I thought there might be a few to change, and I changed the obvious, But apparently the obvious isnt enough haha.
rick_rolled

Postby Ottemis » 29 Jan 2014, 23:47

I'd highly suggest reading through Nhaneh's tut, I think it'll give you the best hints towards how to best achieve this.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Re: Trying to switch out liara and sheps head,

Postby rick_rolled » 31 Jan 2014, 13:31

I am not seeing where the tutorial talks about .pcc replacements. Am I missing something? I replaced all the .pcc files that had to do with the shep head mesh with the liara head mesh and what happened was sheps face looked like it melted off the bones lol. So apparently straight up exchanging the liara head .pcc files with the shep head .pcc files did not work. is this process more complicated than it seems? Is it more than just replacing meshes?
rick_rolled

Postby ELE » 06 Feb 2014, 22:21

Short answer. Yes. Long answer. Yes.

I answered a related question on an old thread earlier: changing-face-mesh-t857.html

You need to import Liara head into 3DS and make the materials for each element match with femshep. By default, Liara's face is the same material ID as femshep's eyes.

Export Liara's fixed head as a psk, convert to upk and import normally using meshplorer to all the PCCs with default femshep's head.

BIOG_HMF_HED_PROMorph_R.pcc
BioP_Char.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Adept.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Engineer.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Infiltrator.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Sentinel.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Soldier.pcc
SFXCharacterClass_Vanguard.pcc

Then replace all the textures with Liara's, either via texmod or texplorer. Some additional texture work might be required to make them compatible (usually is with spec maps.)

Not sure what you mean my "melted off the bones".

Here's a fairly horrifying picture of what happens when you do nothing but mesh import Liara's head onto default Femshep's head. I tried it. That's the result of mismatched material IDs.

http://abload.de/img/masseffect32014-02-068fjm6.jpg

With Liara/any asari you're also going to run into some issues which you need to work around.
1) Default femshep has hair. That will need to go away somehow.
ELE
User

Have thanks: 27 time

Postby ELE » 06 Feb 2014, 23:11

Oh, just occurred to me as well, the 2nd thing you'll run into, default femshep uses vector colors, so any imported head will have a skin tint and green eyes. The only way I've seen to change this is hex editing.
ELE
User

Have thanks: 27 time

Next

Return to Mesh and Model Discussion