Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Changing Mass Effect 1 hair color

General references and tutorials not related to textures, meshes, or content modding.This board is locked and will be archived once transferred to the wiki. New content should be posted directly to the wiki.

Tutorial: Changing Mass Effect 1 hair color

Postby The Fob » 01 May 2015, 02:33

Hello everyone.

Just a little fun thing I stumbled upon while getting my files ready for another ME series playthrough over the summer. Changing hair color in ME1:

Maybe some of you may be interested in this as well to change things up a bit in ME1. It's fairly easy:

First, unpack one of your save files with the method described here in steps 1-3. -> Thanks heaps to ELE08, who wrote this blog!!!

Now, open the extracted file player.sav in HxD.

Go to HEX offset 158F0 (88304 in Decimal). EDIT: Ok, I just figured out that the namelist in the save files is not constant but is actually only built with what each save needs. THat means, depending on where your save is in the game, the position of the hair color in the file is different. You will need to use the little paragraph, I wrote up at the end of this post, in order to figure out where your hair color is located in the file. I will try and write that paragraph up a little better tomorrow. Sorry, while still perfectly possible and feasible to do, this is a little more complicated than I first thought.

See the next 12 bytes? This is the RGB vector for your hair, described as 3 float numbers.

In the case of my redhead Shep, the line read: 57 F1 5C 3E 87 58 AD 3D 57 F1 5C 3E

Divide that up in 3x4 bytes and you get:
Red: 57 F1 5C 3E
Green: 87 58 AD 3D
Blue: D0 7C 36 3D

Now do the endian flip:

Red: 57 F1 5C 3E -> 3E 5C F1 57
Green: 87 58 AD 3D -> 3D AD 58 87
Blue: D0 7C 36 3D -> 3D 36 7C D0

Now enter that into a HEX to Float converter and you get
Red: 0.2157644
Green: 0.08464151
Blue: 0.04455262

Now enter these into an RGB converter like this one right here. If you use the one from the link, don't forget to set the "data color space" to "RGB 0-1" (the default is "RGB 0-255", so you need to change that).

What you will see is a nice dark red color.

Now you can play around on this site until you find the color you want. Do all the conversion steps backwards and enter the result back into the player.sav. Make sure you overwrite the old values and don't insert the new ones. The file should not change in length.

Then follow ELE08's tutorial steps 4-6 to convert the .sav files back into a savegame and start the game.

In my example image above, I simply copied the value for the red channel into the blue one and I get this "lovely" shade of purple. My line at the end looked like this:
57 F1 5C 3E 87 58 AD 3D 57 F1 5C 3E

So that's it. Just a bit of number converting.

BTW: Here is how I found the offset: Like pcc files, the player.sav file has a name list. It begins at HEX offset 20B1 (8369 in Decimal). The first 4 bytes of each name is a letter count for the name, then comes the name. in between the names, you can always see the following bytes: 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 07 00
Just search for these bytes and hit F3 to go through the name list until you find a promising name for whatever you want to chane. For my hair thing, the name was HED_HAIR_COLOUR_VECTOR, so imost names are pretty self-explanatory. If you count the number of times you hit F3 to get there, you know the index of your target name in the namelilst. E.g.HED_HAIR_COLOUR_VECTOR is on position 153. Convert that integer into HEX and you get 99. Now you can search the file for occurrences of references to that anme by searching for the endian flipped 4 byte number. In my case that is 99 00 00 00. If you are lucky, there will only be one or two occurances of those 4 bytes in the file and you can then try and interpret the data from there. Color vectors are especially easy to spot because they din't contain many 00s. With a bit of practice, it's easy to find and change stuff this way. I am sure, if you wanted, you could probably find eye and skin color in a few minutes as well.

But that's only for those, who really want to geek out on it. For the others, just go that offset and enjoy you new hair color.
Hope that was helpful. Also hope this doesn't turn out to be old new in the end. :)
Cheers!

The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Re: Tutorial: Changing Mass Effect 1 hair color

Postby Chloe23 » 20 May 2015, 08:59

<ad link removed>
Chloe23
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby CreeperLava » 20 May 2015, 09:20

What the ? Is this a bot that arrived in the wrong place ?^^
CreeperLava
User

Have thanks: 83 time

Postby The Fob » 20 May 2015, 10:29

Looks like that ad bot got waaaayyyy off course. Talk about missing you target audience. :lol:
The Fob
Modder

Postby CreeperLava » 20 May 2015, 10:31

That's a good idea though, Mass Effect needs hair dryers ! Anyone wants to implement them ?
CreeperLava
User

Postby The Fob » 20 May 2015, 10:33

CreeperLava wrote:That's a good idea though, Mass Effect needs hair dryers ! Anyone wants to implement them ?

For this purpose, Zaeed recommends the M-451 Firestorm. It'll dry your hair in no time. However, he was the only one who made it out of the bathroom alive.
The Fob
Modder

Postby CreeperLava » 20 May 2015, 10:44

AND it dyes your hair and skin in black, the color of carbon. It is a very good 2-in-1 deal, thanks for the suggestion !
CreeperLava
User

Postby yumpa » 04 Sep 2015, 21:19

Thanks for this! Too bad there is no gibbed editor for me1. But i guess except for femshep maniacs it doesn't really needed.
yumpa
User

Postby The Fob » 05 Sep 2015, 17:59

yumpa wrote:Thanks for this! Too bad there is no gibbed editor for me1. But i guess except for femshep maniacs it doesn't really needed.

Haha, I actually never used it on a femShep for real (just for the test above). I actually did this to create an older looking maleShep :):
The Fob
Modder

Postby yumpa » 05 Sep 2015, 18:44

The Fob wrote:
yumpa wrote:Thanks for this! Too bad there is no gibbed editor for me1. But i guess except for femshep maniacs it doesn't really needed.

Haha, I actually never used it on a femShep for real (just for the test above). I actually did this to create an older looking maleShep :):]

heh. But isn't that easier to do through texture editing, rather than puzzling out hex stuff. :roll:
yumpa
User

Next

Return to General References and Tutorials