Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Using SVN

Deprecated or out of scope tutorials.

Tutorial: Using SVN

Postby WarrantyVoider » 28 Feb 2013, 00:02

#################################

Theres a tool for this integrated now, for more convinience, use that: http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/tutorial-using-svn-checker-to-get-most-recent-rev-t1273.html

#################################
SVN means, we use a code repository, aka we only upload changes, not always the entire project. Here I will explain how to setup SVN for ME3 Explorer:

1.Get Tortoise SVN here http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads.html and install it

2.Create an empty folder somewhere

3.Now when you right click it, you see "SVN CheckOut...". Click it!

4.In the opening dialog, enter this URL and press ok:
https://me3explorer.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/me3explorer/
svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/me3explorer/code/

If you are developer and got access from us, use this url:
Spoiler:
svn+ssh:[email protected]/p/me3explorer/code/

5.now wait for the download to finish:

Congratz! You just got the latest version of ME3 Explorer! Now if you ever want an update, you dont need to go through all the hassle again! All you need to do is to right click your folder again and press "Update", wait another download and you got it!

you can compile it with Visual Studio C# Express (2010 and +) OR goto subfolder ME3Explorer/bin/Debug and start the ME3Explorer.exe

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Re: Tutorial: Using SVN

Postby rwillia157 » 22 Apr 2013, 04:57

so now you have the code how do you update the program

********Sorry figured out whatI was doing wrong********
Last edited by rwillia157 on 23 Apr 2013, 05:21, edited 1 time in total.
rwillia157
User

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby WarrantyVoider » 22 Apr 2013, 05:10

how do you mean update? you just did, or do you mean how I commit code? well I have a login :D

greetz
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby Renmiri » 22 Apr 2013, 22:35

or if you use tortoise svn just select the folder, right click and choose "SVN Update"

Renmiri
Emeritus

Have thanks: 37 time

Postby rwillia157 » 05 May 2013, 20:53

okay so here is the problem I am having and I am not the only one I saw from another post in general help. I get the code following these instructions but the ME3Explorer binaries do not update are still at last revision.
rwillia157
User

Postby WarrantyVoider » 05 May 2013, 21:14

try clearing the folder except for the hidden .svn folder and then update again, otherwise open the .sln file with Visual Studio C# Express (I use 2010) and press F5 to compile and run it

greetz
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby rwillia157 » 05 May 2013, 21:24

thanks I used Visual studio to compile and that works.
rwillia157
User

Postby Cav » 09 May 2013, 05:33

Once I've downloaded the SVN files, how do I use them to update ME3 Explorer? I installed Visual Studio C# Express 2010 as instructed above and hit F5 to run it, but installing .mod files while running ME3 Explorer in that way throws up an exception for the intializer type ME3Explorer.ME3Directory, on the line pathCooked = ME3Directory.cookedPath;

I assume this is because running ME3 Explorer in Visual Studio's debugging mode means it's not installed per se, and can't find the directories for ME3 on its own.

So is there a way to use the SVN files to update the Binary from SourceForge or recompile the SVN to a stand-alone executable?
Cav
User

Postby saltisgood » 09 May 2013, 05:56

To update your files you just need to right-click on the folder and hit update, as shown above. That updates all the files, including the binary (as long as the last person to commit code included the binaries, which is pretty much a given). Every time you hit F5 in VS you are recompiling the program. It recompiles it and then runs it in debug mode that way. You can also hit build to just build without running.

But running it inside of VS doesn't change anything about how it works. When you download ME3Ex you don't install it, it just runs. That ME3Directory business is taken from your registry at runtime. When I use the program, whether or not I'm developing it at the time, I tend to run it inside of VS, so I can definitely say that installing mods and stuff works fine even in debug mode. That line occurs quite often so I'd need the call stack or location to tell you what went wrong.

saltisgood has been thanked by:
saltisgood
Emeritus

Have thanks: 155 time

Postby Cav » 09 May 2013, 11:24

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but this is what VS coughed up when error details were copied to the clipboard:

Code: Select all
System.TypeInitializationException was unhandled by user code
  HResult=-2146233036
  Message=The type initializer for 'ME3Explorer.ME3Directory' threw an exception.
  Source=ME3Explorer
  TypeName=ME3Explorer.ME3Directory
  StackTrace:
       at ME3Explorer.ME3Directory.get_cookedPath()
       at ME3Explorer.Texplorer.Texplorer..ctor() in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\Texplorer\Texplorer.cs:line 99
       at SimpleScripts.MyScript.AddImage()
       at SimpleScripts.MyScript.RunScript()
       at ME3Explorer.ScriptCompiler.RunScript(Assembly script, RichTextBox r) in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\ScriptCompiler.cs:line 70
       at ME3Explorer.ScriptCompiler.Compile() in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\ScriptCompiler.cs:line 108
       at ME3Explorer.ModMan.backgroundWorker1_DoWork(Object sender, DoWorkEventArgs e) in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\ModMan.cs:line 603
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.OnDoWork(DoWorkEventArgs e)
       at System.ComponentModel.BackgroundWorker.WorkerThreadStart(Object argument)
  InnerException: System.Threading.ThreadStateException
       HResult=-2146233056
       Message=Current thread must be set to single thread apartment (STA) mode before OLE calls can be made. Ensure that your Main function has STAThreadAttribute marked on it. This exception is only raised if a debugger is attached to the process.
       Source=System.Windows.Forms
       StackTrace:
            at System.Windows.Forms.FileDialog.RunDialog(IntPtr hWndOwner)
            at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
            at System.Windows.Forms.CommonDialog.ShowDialog()
            at ME3Explorer.ME3Directory.get_gamePath() in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\ME3Directory.cs:line 25
            at ME3Explorer.ME3Directory..cctor() in C:\Program Files (x86)\BioWare\Mass Effect 3\ME3Ex\ME3Explorer\ME3Directory.cs:line 58
       InnerException:

This was also under Texplorer.cs at ME3Explorer.Texplorer.Texplorer
Cav
User

Next

Return to Tutorials - Deprecated