Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Using the new texplorer mod functions

Deprecated or out of scope tutorials.

Re: Tutorial: Using the new texplorer mod functions

Postby Antarius » 12 Aug 2013, 09:03

KFreon wrote:@ Antarius
Thanks for the bug report, but it should probably go into the bug forum so it's easier to find later :)
Either way, that tpf is amusingly wrong.
Observe:
Texmod.def contents:

0xB5084D53|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0xB5084D53.dds
0x4374546A|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0x4374546A.dds
0x4374546A|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0x3ECF3654.dds

The last 2 have the same address but are clearly not the same image. So texplorer is told that the normal and spec maps are the same thing.
This is a mistake from whoever made the .tpf. You could fix it by rebuilding the tpf with the correct offsets.

Yeah, that did the job. As it was a small mod I used the other way to create the .mod file and forgot to check the .def file for issues :-)

Thank you
Antarius
User

Have thanks: 65 time

Postby element72 » 12 Aug 2013, 16:25

How can I get texmod to work after applying a texture mod to a character? I would like to try out a different mod on the same characters I modded. Is it possible to get texmod to apply the texture on top of it? Whenever I try it nothing changes to my characters. I've used texmod before on ME3 and it worked just fine.

Edit: Does texmod need the original pcc files? Is that why it doesn't work?
element72
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Ottemis » 12 Aug 2013, 16:59

Afaik textures have an identifier based on the information on them, stock texture looks different than HR versions so often the identifier will change and texmod won't know what to replace anymore.
You'll have to vanilla the PCC in question (which I'd advise) or grab the new identifier via logging mode. If you don't know how to do that, you can find texmod info all over the net.
You can also run a .MOD over another and as long as the textures have the same size you shouldn't have an issue. If you are trying to replace a 4096 with a 2048 texture however, the top image will display as the older mod and all other mips will be the newer mod so you'll have to remove top image via texplorer first.

This is why we usually advise checking out the tpf's before running .MODs, it's the easiest way to check what's what before you commit and permanently replace.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Aug 2013, 00:56

I'm not quite sure this is the best place for my post, since I'm *just* starting to learn this stuff, so please go ahead and move it if you need to. I was going to post it in the ThaneMOD section, but this thread seemed relevant and I thought I'd have a better shot at getting some help outside of our specific section of the forum. So, I'm trying here.

We're adding 2 new War Assets images and a Codex Entry image with the mod (2D image textures). I am aware that while .pccs cannot have textures added to them, the following is possible:
"For texture files that are only referenced by pcc files its different, they can be added at the end of the .tfc file. It can show the name, import and export list of the pcc file. Also it can export and reimport Texture2D objects."

I was very confused about the .tfc and .pccs (since Asset Explorer shows the images "in" the .pccs) and how the game used them until I found this post:
WarrantyVoider wrote:the pcc only contains a link, or better an offset for an .tfc file. the tfc gets the texture added and the pcc the pointers updated, thats "all".

Thanks for that!

So, what I can't find any information on is *how* to add our 3 new textures to the Textures.tfc. Even the tutorial for this thread is in the context of importing something to replace something else, which isn't what we're doing, so I'm a bit confused.

Also, HJF4/Inquiring was apparently planning to put all textures for our mod into a *new* .tfc file (ThaneMod_Textures.tfc). The only information I can find on that is in this thread, though it doesn't discuss it, per se and also requires the use of a different utility. Also, (in the case of the WA) how would the Coalesced > SFXImages_GAW_1/2/3.pccs know to grab from the new ThaneMod_Textures.tfc file and not the vanilla file?

To be clear, I know how to change the reference for the WA image in the Coalesced (easy), I "just" need to know how to get the new images into the game files. (Codex is another story and another post).

And yes, I'm a complete n00b at this, learning a lot and trying very hard. I've spent more than a few hours browsing through ME3Explorer at game files at this point, but assume I know nothing. All I've edited so far is the BIOGame_INT.tlk and Coalesced and that's all working off of stuff that HJF4/Inquiring already had set up.

Anyway, any guidance would be profoundly appreciated. Thanks.
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 24 Aug 2013, 01:29

Welcome giftfish :)

I'm not sure I understand your first question, but I can explain some stuff and maybe that will answer the rest.

Firstly, Texplorer/ModMaker already puts modified textures in a seperate .tfc (custtextures0.tfc). The only game files modified now are .pcc's and the TOC.bin (as far as I know).
Second, Texplorer can replace textures with any image you want, so you could put Ashley's face on Anderson if you wanted. It'd be hideously distorted because their facial models and a few other things are different, but texture-wise, you can do anything.

Also, for informations sake, since .pcc's are basically just lists of locations, to make a .pcc look at a specific .tfc, you just change the name in the list.

Just re-reading your question, you want to add image data to a .tfc and do what with it?
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 24 Aug 2013, 02:19

KFreon wrote:Welcome giftfish :)

Just re-reading your question, you want to add image data to a .tfc and do what with it?

Sorry if I didn't explain well enough >.< Like I said, I'm new to this. I likely don't have all the proper terminology down yet.

Our mod is implementing some new Codex and WA entries. We want to use custom images for them, rather than directing their ImagePath to use images that are already present in the game files.

For example, we have added "GAWAsset_Thane Krios" in our modded Coalesced.bin (worth 25, btw). Right now the ImagePath points to the image for the Drell Codex entry image (CDX_drell_512x256). Instead, we want to add a unique image and then make it point to that instead. I understand how to modify the ImagePath in the Coalesced, I just don't know how to add the images themselves. Our mod builder (who goes by the name Inquiring on these forums) intended to do this by placing our new mod's new texture files in a new .tfc called ThaneMod_textures.tfc.

But, I don't know how to create a new .tfc or add images to the existing Textures.tfc. This is what I'm trying to find out. Does this explain it better?
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 24 Aug 2013, 05:10

It does explain it better :)
I guess it would depend on how the image is referenced in coalesced.bin. I don't modify it and can't find anything related to the codex in there :P

As for adding things to custom .tfc's, it'd be possible to modify some of Texplorers functions to do that, but again, it depends what ImagePath is in coalesced...

EDIT: I just found a codex reference (finally), and "gui_codex_images.galaxyAtWar.GM_HumansNoArmor_512x256" points to the SFXImages_GAW_2.pcc. I think that would mean you would either have to replace things, or perhaps it's possible to add .pcc's.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 24 Aug 2013, 13:06

KFreon wrote:It does explain it better :)
I guess it would depend on how the image is referenced in coalesced.bin. I don't modify it and can't find anything related to the codex in there :P

As for adding things to custom .tfc's, it'd be possible to modify some of Texplorers functions to do that, but again, it depends what ImagePath is in coalesced...

EDIT: I just found a codex reference (finally), and "gui_codex_images.galaxyAtWar.GM_HumansNoArmor_512x256" points to the SFXImages_GAW_2.pcc. I think that would mean you would either have to replace things, or perhaps it's possible to add .pcc's.

Hm, one thing that (maybe!) you aren't understanding (or...I'm not!) is that I can edit the WA ImagePath reference. For the example I provided in my last post, that's a brand new asset we put in. The current ImagePath is temporary -- we will change it when we put in the new image.

SFXImages_GAW_1/2.pccs each contain 20 images references, so that seems to be a "cap" of sorts. SFXImages_GAW_3.pcc has 18. It seems logical then to have this .pcc grab the metadata for the new WA image I want to add. But, as far as I know, I first need to add that new image to either a new .tfc or the vanilla Textures.tfc, as that is where the images are truly stored. When the .tfc is altered, apparently you define which .pcc should reference it. That's when the _GAW_3.pcc file would get updated.

On the PCCEditor page of the Wiki it says this:

"Most game content of Mass Effect 3 is stored in pcc files (format) and the PCC Editor is a tool to import and export such data. Currently its only possible to replace raw data with the data of the same size or less, so adding objects is not possible yet. For texture files that are only referenced by pcc files its different, they can be added at the end of the .tfc file. It can show the name, import and export list of the pcc file. Also it can export and reimport Texture2D objects."

So, my first step is this part: "For texture files that are only referenced by pcc files its different, they can be added at the end of the .tfc file."

How do I add the new images themselves (the .dds files) to the .tfc? Can I not use ME3Explorer/Texplorer? Do I need to use Amarok86's utility to do this?

Thanks again and sorry for confusion... :/
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 24 Aug 2013, 14:44

Oh OK, I don't know about adding stuff to .pcc's or things like that.

The method I'd try and use, is to (somehow) edit the .pcc to make it think it had another image (Is that what you're saying is possible?). Then you'd be able to access it through Texplorer and "replace" the image, which would add it to the custtextures0.tfc.
How to edit a .pcc in such a manner, I have no idea, if it's even possible. WV might know since he wrote that PCCEditor.
The quote there is a little confusing since (as far as I know) all textures are only referenced by .pcc's...
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 24 Aug 2013, 17:50

KFreon wrote:Oh OK, I don't know about adding stuff to .pcc's or things like that.

The method I'd try and use, is to (somehow) edit the .pcc to make it think it had another image (Is that what you're saying is possible?). Then you'd be able to access it through Texplorer and "replace" the image, which would add it to the custtextures0.tfc.
How to edit a .pcc in such a manner, I have no idea, if it's even possible. WV might know since he wrote that PCCEditor.
The quote there is a little confusing since (as far as I know) all textures are only referenced by .pcc's...

No. I'm sorry, apparently I either don't understand this, or I'm not explaining it well.

I'm not saying you can edit the .pccs. The quote from the wiki I posted actually says that .pccs cannot be "added" to. We cannot add our new images here. The .pccs only contain metadata.

I need to add new 2Dimages to the .tfc or make our own custom .tfc. This is what the wiki says *is* possible. This is what I'm trying to do.

As you say, the .pccs only reference the textures that are in the .tfc. From what I've read on these forums, my understanding is that when the .tfc is edited, the .pccs that reference the edited files are updated. But, maybe I have this completely wrong.

Our mod builder apparently had this all worked out, and at this point I'm not sure how else I can explain it. I think I've probably accidentally derailed this thread. Please feel free to move my posts to a new thread. Blarg.
giftfish

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials - Deprecated