Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Tutorial: Using the new texplorer mod functions

Deprecated or out of scope tutorials.

Re: Tutorial: Using the new texplorer mod functions

Postby KFreon » 25 Aug 2013, 01:24

I don't really know about that reference thing, but what happens is data is dumped onto the end of the .tfc, and the pointers to the start and end of that data block are updated in the pcc's that reference the image the data represents.
So if you just dump images onto the .tfc, you won't be able to access them from anywhere in the game if no .pcc has a reference for that image.
It's like putting a million identical balls in a box, then adding another one and asking someone to find it.
You can PM me if you want, or get your mod builder to. I might not be able to help though :P
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby giftfish » 25 Aug 2013, 15:14

@KFreon --

Thanks again for the help :] I went ahead and made a post in the General Help area to direct people over to the ThaneMOD threads. I then made a new thread over there in relation to this question. It looks like we're making some progress.

And, yeah, I would love to get our mod builder to do it, but Inquiring hasn't been around. Hence our request for some new people to step in and help on the mod (see the new post I made yesterday over in the General Help section).
giftfish

Postby Gvaz » 05 Jan 2014, 03:29

I have some tpf files that show up as zero valid textures but each of the files contain the textures themselves so I'm unable to do a mod conversion. Is there any way to fix this?
Gvaz
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby KFreon » 05 Jan 2014, 04:12

@Gvaz: That means the textures inside are not in the correct format or don't have enough mipmaps. There are tools to extract things from .tpf's, and I even wrote one that allows you to repack it semi-automatically (at your own risk).

But tpfextract works fine.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 24 Jan 2014, 15:47

Hi again, can't stop popping up with more problems can I? Thought I'd see if I could get my favourite Liara texture fixed for use in ME2explorer. Highly doubted I'd have any success but with your guide I've managed to get the diffs showing without asterisks in the mod from tpf tools. Two things standing between me and getting this thing ready. Firstly, when you say other formats beside those listed aren't really supported, does that mean there's no way to get a texture which is apparently formatted as A8R8G8B8 into PF_normalmap_hq format? Second, there's one texture in the tpf I'm working from which the modgenerator doesn't recognise. Do any of your texplorers recognise the hash 0x45F40414 ? Or are there alternate ways to search for the matching texture?
Cheers guys, hope this hasn't been asked, but I used find for normalmap in each page of this thread and didn't find anything so assume this is either common sense to everyone else or I'm doing something wrong.
tbpierrot
User

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby KFreon » 25 Jan 2014, 01:09

The normal map ones are usually V8U8, but I recall something weird about ME2 normal maps being in 3Dc format (?) or L8... Give those a go and see what it says.

As to the hash, the only real way of finding it is to do it old school, and look. 1 by 1 through the tree :( Usually if you know what the image is, it narrows the search.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 25 Jan 2014, 15:20

I found a post by Salt saying that ME2 normalmaps are "actually a 3Dc or BC5 format (with ATI2 FourCC)". Anyone know whether they're supported by the directx texture tool, and what they'd be listed as? Can't see either in the surface format list.
On the subject of the texture the program isn't finding - it's a normalmap - the 4 textures are a diff and a normal each for Liara's 2 ME2 appearances, but the two are identical so it's 2 copies of 1 diff texture and 2 copies of 1 norm. What's the potential damage is I install a new texture and stick with the default normalmap?
tbpierrot
User

Postby KFreon » 26 Jan 2014, 00:37

I don't recall it being supported by the DirectX tool and thus not by mine either :( I should fix that.

So for normal maps, they're kinda important depending on what you're doing. Test it and see if you like it, but the better way is to find the texture that's missing using Texplorer.
Oh you need hashes... I'll give you my current version so you can see hashes in ME2. There's a few other things I want to put in before I commit.
Here it is.

Now I just noticed that I still have my trees in there. Make sure you delete them before use.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 26 Jan 2014, 09:56

Thanks again. My inital search for anything with ASA failed to find the hash I'm looking for BUT I did find a Liara SB face norm... looks like the texture I'm trying to put in game but is a different hash.
tbpierrot
User

Postby KFreon » 26 Jan 2014, 11:34

Sometimes texmod hashes are different. Don't know why though. But if you found the correct hash, just use it instead.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials - Deprecated