Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

UDK Video thread

Semi-technical area to discuss content modding research and discoveries. Technical information necessary for coding tools should be posted in Technical Research on the Coders board.

Re: UDK Video thread

Postby The Fob » 07 Aug 2013, 00:36

Hey Ottamis, no worries. I have a hard time asking anyway because I know the work itself takes hours and since these ships are basically only in the new videos we are creating, they would effectively only be visible for a few seconds in the (modded) game (they would make all the difference there though, haha ;)). So again no worries there, I know that you have bigger fish to fry and I am already really happy about that cruiser.

As for the Normandy, yes, the cinematic version has separate textures for the main body, the wings and the engines. You can find the model in the BioD_End001_910RaceToConduit.pcc (in the EC DLC) and the textures under BioApl_Veh_Normandy2 but you probably already know all that.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby MatthewDratt » 09 Aug 2013, 07:49

IronhandJustice wrote:
MatthewDratt wrote:I think it looks great but for IronHandJustice's video there's a lot needed done. Such as shaders, lighting, animations, camera work. In my opinion that would not fit in. I understand it might not reach Bioware's production, but sometimes things just don't work either.
Also I feel like maybe there is way too much happening. In the background everything is very brightly lit and you can see a lot of whats happening in the background, which is very unlike Bioware. (Try messing with Depth of field?) In Biowares cinematics, you focused on what was happening in the front screen while the background wasn't very visibly "apparent". (Also idk whats the plans but... don't give Shepard any new lines unless you mess around with his/her's ACTUAL voice over in my opinion-Also if you need voice overs I use a lot in my Halo mods I make so I can give you a few, in my opinion my VOs have good acting and very clean mics. Just message me if you still need VOs/want to replace dirty VO work with cleaner actors, ect).

But for the repear weapon, I think the bitmap charge at the beginning could probably close/become smaller a tad faster. The bitmap kinda freezes and it looks strange. I think it'll work but I think it would look better a tad faster to hide that. Or maybe if you could somehow animate the bitmap while it's full like that... (can't think of an example... like the "lightning" moving around as its all big like that)

For the Normandy exit video I would suggest slowing the camera down at the end. The camera turns and then it just freezes which looks odd for me.
Think of the screen in 3rds vertically. When earth fills up about 1/3 of the screen I'd suggest slowing the camera down until the video ends. Right before the video ends Earth becomes centered. It would make the camera movement much more smoother and would easy out of the camera spin and would fit the mood of the scene better for me. I do kinda like Jedsithors video reply and how he does it but the camera is moving far to fast for the scene in my opinion. I like how Earth makes the "Mass Effect Arch" but zooming in on Earth like that was far too fast for the "sad outro" kinda mood.

There are obvious textures fixes and lighting fixes but yeah.

Also I haven't been keeping up too much with this but have you tried messing with the Field of View? Try messing with that and see what looks like Biowares.

I haven't had too much experience with UDK... well none really (I can't get off my current game engine because I don't wanna have to relearn agh) but I have a decent computer. If you guys just need scenes rendered out or something and it's simply to just hand files over and hit render then I could help I assume.

Just dropping my full thoughts on what I've seen. Wish the project best of luck and thanks a lot for doing this!

Hi there.

As Im doing the video MrFob has referenced, and I've read you don't like some of the scenes, can you be more specific?

I respond your points (the most part, have technical/time explanation), and a bit in general.

At the newer versions, the emissives for the reapers have been lowered a lot. Besides this, I know that the projectiles need rework, as lighting. Lights and shadows are not under my scope right now, as the entire map needs a huge-computing lightmass calculation rebuilt. This is going to be done once I have my new computer. My current one, is simply not able to process such massive ammount of things.

So, there is a heavy hardware limitation that is preventing me to upgrade all properly. Is terrible when you have 1 hour to work, and you spend 40 minutes looking at the "compiling" screen. Once I have my new pc, i will remove the FX limit from UDK and let the 32GB RAM be worthy of each cent I will spent on it. Seriously, is going to be the difference between driving a van and pilot an X-wing.

Earth textures are going to be replaced by the ones seen in MrFob's videos. Same for the advanced effects. Materials will be upgraded as soon as I have some time to work at them.

I advance that this version is the first beta in order to have the whole sequence together. After the three video sequences are complete, I will start a upgrade phase for all assets. This first recording phase have lasted more than 400 hours of work, starting from almost-everything-scratch, from february to now. That's why this still not has a production-looking xD. Is more a "programming/sequence/what is going to happen" looking rigth now. Some effects as shots or movements, explosions and similars, are all triggered and syncronized via unrealscript code. Is quite hard to do, and I focused on the syncro at first place :(

Third part needs still to be recorded and assembled.

Regarding VA's, the sounds are distorted on purpose to be "radio", as bioware shows on their videos. This version had the music too loud, and voices cannot be apreciated as they are. Some of them needs just to be adjusted at the same audio level.

So, my two cents on what's missing:
-Textures/effects/lighting upgrades. Special mention to the carrier SSV Titanicus (Labeled as dread by MrFob).
-Animation upgrades
-Camera upgrades
-Audio upgrades
-FX upgrades (another team member is doing this)

You say that for example animation and cameras need reworking. Do you have any suggestions for particular moments?

Thanks for the comments.

PD: That was the version 1 of the videos: :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c_TWL-HMLg[/youtube]

Animations need to be worked on. You can crop out your commander dude out of the normandy and possible render a different background and throw him in. If you need help cropping out your commander "fake shepard" dude, I could help since it would probably be tedius. But I would need a background rendered.

Also camera needs to be fixed a lot. Look at how Bioware controls there camera http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tLlAObjR-gs&t=145
-Dynamic Zoom Ins
-Slight Camera Shaking (handle-held effect - can be done in post video edition software)
-Extremely smooth in speed (doesn't speed up-then slow down-then up-then down- ect)
-The camera is never completely still. Whether it be slightly zooming in or out, slight slight shake, camera titling on its axis or something, the camera is never still

Also other things from comparison, Bioware's cinematics are much darker, where I find yours quite bright.

Also like I say, your voice acting quality is far below par on many levels. Not to plug my own Halo mod in (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_niUQEIYNxA) but I could easily lend you some voice actors if you need. (I realized I already have some of my Voice Actors stuff online. I'm sure they'd be happy to help with this mod if you wish to use any of them. Just hit me up and I can check with them. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6240433/TDVO_Lawson.mp3 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6240433/TDVO_Nova.mp3 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6240433/TDVO_Kadar.mp3 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6240433/TDVO_Karner.mp3 https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6240433/line-1-female2.mp3)
MatthewDratt
User

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Ottemis » 09 Aug 2013, 18:52

Looking into rewrapping my docked Normandy textures for the Cinematic version atm, I'll share when done(ish).
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby Ottemis » 12 Aug 2013, 22:42

If you guys are interested: released cinematic wrap in my thread, here. Have a look if you want.
If you would rather use the loose textures I can provide those directly as well. The TPF has both the docked and cinematic textures combined.

Ottemis has been thanked by:
Ottemis
Harbinger

Postby The Fob » 12 Aug 2013, 23:41

Wow, cool! Thanks heaps Ottamis! This will come in very handy, since I am making the new shuttle launch scene at the moment where I need some extreme close up shots of the Normandy (and I also need the loading dock doors animated so I can't just use the static mesh). I'll post here as soon as I have got something to show and you can see the ship in motion. :)
The TPFs should be fine, I can extract the textures from them, right? I'll try tonight (Australian time) and let you know if I run into trouble.
Thanks again!!!
The Fob
Modder

Postby Ottemis » 12 Aug 2013, 23:46

Yeah I'd use tpfextract, it's a nice little tool. I gotta head in now but if there's anything just poke and i'll get back to you tomorrow somewhere. I'm on euro times so it's late here now =)

Ottemis has been thanked by:
Ottemis
Harbinger

Postby The Fob » 13 Aug 2013, 16:30

Hey, thought I'd show you what I am using the new Normandy textures for, so I uploaded another video but youtube is really screwing up the quality of everything I capture from UDK pretty badly (especially the sun but also other stuff).

Still, this is a first draft for the new shuttle drop scene:

There's hardly any background stuff yet (I always do that last) and the dogfight in the beginning is still very much unfinished but it's how I want to do the shuttle drop scene.
Have to find out why the Normandy is a bit buggy as it flys towards the camera as well.

In any case, thanks heaps for those Normandy Textures, the look great!

The Fob has been thanked by:
The Fob
Modder

Postby The Fob » 25 Aug 2013, 12:49

Ok, here is what I'd call a final version of the shuttle scene. Let me know if anyone finds anything wrong with it, it's very possible I did not see some errors.
The Fob
Modder

Postby TheQwertiest » 25 Aug 2013, 17:33

Hm... Maybe a little more DoF effect? It looks unnatural, when I can see all the ships and debris with perfect clarity (referring to the beginning and the end of the clip) :\
TheQwertiest
User

Have thanks: 2 time

Postby The Fob » 26 Aug 2013, 02:09

Good point. At the end, I actually have a quite narrow DOF but for some reason, I can't quite figure out, the two reapers in the background are fairly clear.
In the beginning I want to give the viewer a good overwiev of the situation before going into all the movement. You are right though, I might give it a little more DOF.
The Fob
Modder

PreviousNext

Return to Modders' Research