Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Using the TPF Tools

Deprecated or out of scope tutorials.

Re: Using the TPF Tools

Postby giftfish » 19 Jan 2014, 01:30

KFreon wrote:Yes, I'll get onto that weirdness as soon as possible :D

Rofl. Omg why can't everything work on the first try? You know? Think of how much time we'd save >.>

Though, if my tree.bin is f-ed up, then maybe the weirdness is because of that.

I'll be getting to the tree.bin in the morning, btw. Hopefully one of the ThaneMOD folks can link me a vanilla TOC.bin, as somehow I succeeded in backing up every vanilla game folder before I started modding, but somehow I don't have a backup of my original TOC.bin. I don't want to repair install just for that >.<

Sigh.
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 19 Jan 2014, 02:07

I think that's a good idea. Check this out:

Note the names you have in the tpf are completely different to the names its matched. The hashes in that tpf are all wrong. Furthermore, that one that replaced but was wrong? That's the one showing in the Texplorer there. Again, wrong image and wrong name.

So a few errors there, fortunately only on your end and very fixable :D
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby Ottemis » 19 Jan 2014, 02:08

@ Giftfish: TOC.bin =)
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby giftfish » 19 Jan 2014, 19:40

KFreon wrote:I think that's a good idea. Check this out:
So a few errors there, fortunately only on your end and very fixable :D

Ok, I'm confused. I thought only the hashes had to match? Not the entire filenames themselves.

I used some of Ottemis' .tpf files as an example. Her file names in a.tpf don't match the filenames for what she is replacing, only the hash does. Otherwise her file names simply describes that file and what it is to be used for -- she names it at her discretion.

For example, here is one of her textures in a hoodie tpf: MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0X8E26C08C_HoodieF_diff.dds

The actual name texture file for this is HMF_ARM_CTHj_DIF. It's hash is 0X8E26C08C.

The names do not match, the hash does.

All the hashes I used are correct, and I simply used file name conventions similar to BW's. KFreon, we are not doing direct replacements like most texture modders. We have added new war assets and codex entries and are providing them images -- we are replacing other textures to get those in. In this case, we are using textures in the game manual for the Kinect, since PC players won't ever use them. We are also replacing the drell codex image (what you snapped a screenie of) with a new one, and reusing that somewhere else (Thane's WA).

The file names that appear on the left and right are exactly correct. The files on the right are exactly the ones we are using to replace the corresponding vanilla file on the left. The hashes all line up, if you look them up (game manual images are in GUI_Game Manual).

In other words:

CDX_Drell_512x256 (0x483EEB5) should be replaced by 0x4A83EEB5|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0x4A83EEB5_drell_codex_1024x512.dds
Kinect_OptionNarrative_512x256 (0x800751AA) should be replaced by 0x800751AA|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0x800751AA_GM_DrellHanarForces_1024x512.dds
Kinect_PowerWheel_512x256 (0xA9DCDC85) should be replaced by 0xA9DCDC85|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0xA9DCDC85_TK_warasset.dds
Kinect_SquadOrders_512x256 (0xC3328A25) should be replaced by 0xC3328A25|MASSEFFECT3.EXE_0xC3328A25_TK_codex_1024x512.dds

Texplorer lines these up by hash correctly, as you can see, and says they are all valid. Yet none of them worked in my game when using the TPF Tool. If I do a direct replace via Texplorer by selecting the exact vanilla texture I'm replacing, it works fine. So, in theory, if I'm using their hash, then this should work, just the same way.

As far as I can tell, I haven't done anything wrong.

EDIT: Ok, I went ahead and used the TPF tool again to apply the same .tpf for a second time. And...it worked perfectly. Apparently I should have done that right away. Whatever weirdness happened the first time around, after I loaded it up -- by itself -- there weren't any problems.

Initially, I loaded 3 .tpfs at once. One thing I forgot to mention is when I did this, the first one applied correctly, then this one applied, but the third one actually didn't apply at all. I didn't get an error message, it just didn't apply -- I wouldn't have known without checking the CookedPCC to ensure the proper files got updated. When I noticed that one of the .pccs didn't get updated that should have been, I re-ran that particular .tpf on it's own. So, maybe something happened when this .tpf was originally being applied, that not only screwed it up, but it prevented the final one from running. At any rate, it indeed works. Yay. Time to send it to the testers.
Last edited by giftfish on 19 Jan 2014, 20:11, edited 3 times in total.
giftfish

Postby giftfish » 19 Jan 2014, 19:42

Ottemis wrote:@ Giftfish: TOC.bin =)

Thanks, Ottemis! Do differences in DLC or anything like that make a difference?
giftfish

Postby Ottemis » 19 Jan 2014, 21:39

giftfish wrote:

Main TOC is only for the basegame isn't it? That is to say, I don't believe so but I could be wrong. If it does matter I have the CE and own all DLC.
Ottemis
Harbinger

Have thanks: 247 time

Postby giftfish » 19 Jan 2014, 21:57

Ottemis wrote:
giftfish wrote:

Main TOC is only for the basegame isn't it? That is to say, I don't believe so but I could be wrong. If it does matter I have the CE and own all DLC.

Yeah, only base game. It seems like some DLC's change the dates of certain files in the CookedPCC, though. Or...maybe I'm on crack.

Just thought it better to ask, lol. Anyway...vanilla in process. Arg.
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 20 Jan 2014, 02:06

@giftfish: The names don't have to line up. I just thought you'd somehow mixed up the hashes, but if you're replacing old worthless textures with new useful ones, then that makes sense :)

I wonder why the 3rd one didn't run...
Anyway glad its sorted :D
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby giftfish » 20 Jan 2014, 16:46

KFreon wrote:@giftfish: The names don't have to line up. I just thought you'd somehow mixed up the hashes, but if you're replacing old worthless textures with new useful ones, then that makes sense :)

I wonder why the 3rd one didn't run...
Anyway glad its sorted :D

Well, and what's really weird, is the same thing happened to one of our testers. She loaded all 3 of our mod .tpfs at the same time. And this one didn't apply correctly as it should have. When she ran it by itself, a second time, it applied as it should. You could probably replicate it on yoru end, but you;d need some of our other mod files to see the results in game. Otherwise, you can still see the results via Texplorer.

Do you want me to put this in the bug section? It seems like maybe there can be some issue with loading multiple TPFs at a time? Maybe...?
giftfish

Postby KFreon » 21 Jan 2014, 01:11

Yeah I don't understand why that would be, but then there are a few bugs I don't understand how can be possible...
KFreon
Toolset Developer

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials - Deprecated