Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

Using the TPF Tools

Deprecated or out of scope tutorials.

Re: Using the TPF Tools

Postby Phnx » 24 Jan 2014, 12:32

It would be cool if we could use it for installing textures that have the correct names already as well.
Phnx
User

Have thanks: 14 time

Postby tbpierrot » 24 Jan 2014, 12:52

Thank you so much for the update KFreon. Still not finding the texture in the tree, and in reference to giftfish's advice about the hashes - I can see what I assume to be the hashes when I open the .def file in notepad, and can see hashes for textures in the me3 texplorer through the method explained. But when I go to properties of the textures I'm trying to replace in me2's texplorer it doesn't list any hashes. Absolutely no idea where to go from here, I'm guessing the problem is definately on my end now you have the tool fixed? Any further advice is much appreciated and will be tried, but I'll put this on the back burner for now, almost finished ME2 but once I get my copy of the tools working properly it will be good to get these changes made for the future... As well as learning how to use the tools and what I've been doing wrong all this time.
To recap - in the latest experiment, after updating the SVN (589), I opened the me2 (and 3) texplorers to make sure the tree was still set up, then I opened the tpf tools, opened the tpf I'm trying to take the textures from, extracted all, deleted the unwanted textures, then closed the tpf tool and reopened it, switched to me2 and dragged the remaining textures and .def file back into the tool. I then clicked analyse and still get told the textures aren't in the tree.
Like I said, beyond that my only clue is that I can't find anything resembling a hash for the textures in the me2 texplorer.
tbpierrot
User

Have thanks: 3 time

Postby KFreon » 24 Jan 2014, 13:36

Hmm curious...It seems to work for me...
The hashes for ME2 textures are in the properties menu. Right click on a texture and click properties.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 520 time

Postby tbpierrot » 24 Jan 2014, 13:39

That's what I did... All I see is:
- Texture Name
- LODGroup
- Dimensions
- Archive
- Format
I'll keep trying, may restart (as if that ever fixed anything but may as well follow troubleshooting 101). It gonna cause chaos if I download SVN to another folder to see if that achieves anything?
tbpierrot
User

Postby KFreon » 24 Jan 2014, 14:30

Quite right...How strange. I'm 100% certain I added that.
Ugh, how frustrating. I'll add it sometime soon. Can you link me the tpf you're using?

EDIT: Oh I remember why...hashes are weird in ME2.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 24 Jan 2014, 15:03

It's the fixed Jack texture from the ME2 thread - here http://www.mediafire.com/folder/7pupbbfu27kdc/ME2_HD_Textures.
It seems ME2 really is a bitch to work with, sorry for putting you guys through all this, seems things would have gone so much more smoothly if I'd only bothered trying to put mods in the third game!
tbpierrot
User

Postby KFreon » 25 Jan 2014, 01:12

@phnx: You can. That's the one that works properly. I just get the hash from the filename.

This jack texture pack is causing all sorts of (probably) unrelated trouble. I'll see what I can find.

EDIT: Ok, I see what might be a problem. Was your ".def" actually texmod.log? Cos if it was...I haven't handled .log extensions. Easy enough, but equally easy is just rename the file to texmod.def and it'll work.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 25 Jan 2014, 15:25

I'll have another look soon to see if I can figure out anything with what you just said. Honestly, if the people who know what they're doing get the texture fixed in the future this will be irrelevant, so as long as the problem's specific to me and this texture then it might be best to leave it. If looking into it can help find bugs though I'll keep following instructions and seeing what happens.
tbpierrot
User

Postby KFreon » 26 Jan 2014, 00:14

It's a minor change to the code to include .log files. So it'll be fixed in the next commit.
And it won't be a problem if you use the .tpf itself, though I understand why you don't want to.
KFreon
Toolset Developer

Postby tbpierrot » 26 Jan 2014, 10:03

Well I seem to have fixed it! The svn version you sent me in your other tutorial allowed me to get the hashes for textures. Just tried it with the first file, changed the filename to MASSEFFECT2.EXE_0xD2A27A35.dds and the tpftool has matched it up properly. Happy days, let's see if I can get this thing in game. Cheers KFreon!

EDIT - The tpftools matched up each texture properly. At first I tried exporting as a .mod but got a tiny file each time that I couldn't load into the mod maker. Next I tried the install valid but I don't think that did anything - I rebuilt the database in texplorer and can still see the vanilla textures, not the HD ones. Finally I tried repacking it as a .tpf. That seemed to work - but it turns out when it exports it gets the matching all wrong, it all seemed randomised and I think it was different each time I tried the repack, just randomly matched. I tried using the "use alternate file" in the tpf to mod tool to match up the textures correctly but the preview image doesn't change after I replace a texture with the correct one so I don't think that's working either.
So how do you guys get from having all the textures matched properly in the tpftool to getting them in game?
tbpierrot
User

PreviousNext

Return to Tutorials - Deprecated