Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

[Article] Utilities

Help build and maintain the new ME3Explorer Wiki on Wikia.

[Article] Utilities

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 16:09

Article -- Utilities
Status -- Complete
URL -- http://me3explorer.wikia.com/wiki/Utilities

Ok, I have lots of questions about these tools, as some may be deprecated. I'll be editing this post as I work through these, so please check back periodically to comment. When a question has been answered, I'll annotate it in this post so people don't need to keep responding :]

[DONE]1. Version Checker.
This tool seems to check your ME3 versions, but some of the data it displays for my game seems incorrect. Other data I'm not sure what it is, which means I can't explain it properly on the wiki.

Here's a screenshot:
Spoiler:
Alright, so, my questions:
  • Panes. Why are there two panes, when they have exactly the same information?
  • No Labels. What are the long strings of alphanumeric characters that appear before the colon?
  • Top line (either pane) -- This seems to be the ME3.exe? If so, my version is 1.5.5427.1, which means the tool appears to be wrong unless I'm missing something.
  • 2nd line (either pane) -- What is this? "DLC one"?
  • 3rd-4th lines (either pane) -- These identify themselves as "Patches." DLC Patches? Non-DLC patches? I'm patched up to version 1.5.5427.1, which also isn't displayed here.
  • 5th & 6th lines (either pane) -- The information displayed here makes no sense to me. I have a legal copy of the game and I use WV's set of dlls that fix authorization issues for modded DLC. I'm not sure I ever used the exe method that pre-dated the dll method; I don't think I did. Either way, I have my game through Origin, which is certainly required to run my game. And, if I remove the dlls and re-reun the check, the information stays exactly the same.

[DONE] 2. XBOXConverter
This tool might be better off with an alternate name. I figured it was a save format converter until I actually opened it. Ideally, a tool name should be descriptive enough that the user shouldn't have to open it to know what it's function is. Most tool names in the toolset certainly fit this criteria :]

I can only find two threads about this tool on the forums. This one about a potential PS3 Converter, and this more lengthy thread about the XBOX Converter that focuses primarily on controller support, but that also talks about the functionality of the tool.

After reading the thread, I'm still unclear about the following:
  • Why convert between XXX and PCC format? In other words...what's the point of the tool? Is it *only* for controller support? Is it to use modded PCC files on the XBOX? Both? Something else?
  • This post implies (I think) that the same tool can be used for PS3 files. Is this the case? If so, then the name of the tool and the wiki content needs to reflect this.

[DONE] 3 & 4. DLL Injector and Patcher
I haven't used either of these tools before and hesitate to launch them out of fear they may do something automatically (like opening Texplorer will immediately begin tree.bin if one isn't present). Can anyone tell me what these tools do and if it's safe for me to open them? I can't find any forum posts about them, specifically.

[DONE]5. Language Selector
This is another tool without any documentation on the forum about what it does or how it works (though I did track down an old post of mine mentioning some IM I had w/WV and since forgotten, lol). I'm guessing this affects the language of the GAME and not the TOOLSET. But I don't want to try it to find out.

Assuming it does affect the game, the buttons for 32 & 64 bit are obvious, as are the language buttons themselves. But...how does it work? What I mean by that is this: DLC contain some (not all) localization PCCs/AFCs, but my ME3 Main Cooked only contains PCC/AFC files localized for English. How would it even be possible for me to you select and use a different localization when I'm missing those PCCs?

Also, tied to this question, only German, English, French, and Italian languages contain full PCC/AFC support in DLCs. However, there are also Japanese, Polish, Spanish, and Russian TLK files. The tool doesn't distinguish between this difference, and it doesn't even list the Japanese language for conversion.

Really hoping someone can clear this up, as I am *profoundly* confused, lol.

[DONE] 6. AFC to WAV
I have a suggested name change for this tool (see here), but mostly I have a question and suggestion about functionality.

This tool allows you to extract all the WAVs, or a single WAV, in an AFC. The tool displays the WAV information as offsets, which is also how it names them upon extraction. For most users, this is a very inconvenient way to label files. It basically requires you to open PCCEd2 or Soundplorer to cross reference the information to get a better idea of which WAV contains which sound.

On the other hand, Soundplorer ALSO has the ability to extract WAV files. BUT, when it names them it uses the actual file name as displayed in Soundplorer/PCCEditor2. This is valuable information and is a much better way to name the file. However, Soundplorer can't do a bulk extract. It can only do individual extracts. Which begs the question...

Can we just add bulk extraction functionality to Soundplorer? (Transfer > Export ALL to WAV)

And/Or...

Can we use the code in Soundplorer to implement those file naming conventions into the AFC to WAV tool? So that the actual file names are displayed in the window and used to name the extracted files, rather than just the offsets?

If we implement the first option, the AFC to WAV tool could be removed from the toolset as it would be completely redundant. If we implement the second option, then the existing tool would simply be updated.

[DONE] 7. Movies.tfc to BIK
No questions; proposed name change.

[DONE] 8. SVN Updater
No questions.

[DONE] 9. Vanilla Maker
No questions.

[DONE] 10. Batch Renamer
No questions.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Re: [WIP] Utilities

Postby WarrantyVoider » 02 Jan 2015, 19:44

1. left side is what is currently known, right is what hardcoded in, the long strings are md5 hashes, if you go file/check version it either adds it to the left as a new entry with new md5 or tells you which version you have. only the version wont tell you WHICH crack of that version you have :P so thats what its was for

2. one of the very first tools, all it does is uncompressing .xxx (xbox) files and renaming them pcc, because they have the same format, just different endianess, but xbox tools where never really asked for, so I never continued it, it could be deleted

3. & 4. http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/me3-dlc-patcher-t374.html its old, it was the dlc patcher before I made the binkw dlls, this program simply injects my code to patch the game, the dlls do that automatically, so use them instead

5. it does what it says, it sets the ingame language, for ppl like me that have the version with all languages you would have to otherwise reinstall it all the time. btw all it does it changing a single registry entry (different path between 32bit and 64bit, thats why that) so dont blame me for the game not having the files^^

6. well I almost expected this confusion: afcs alone have no sound information other that the sound itself, so the afc converter scans for signatures and tries to brute-force extract everything. soundplorer on the other hand can read the sound assets and so knows the offsets, sizes and what you need: the name... obviously you cant have both that easily so I made 2 tools. afc extractor for raw afc unpacking, soundplorer to explorer sounds by ingame references, like said assets

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Have thanks: 626 time

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 20:10

WarrantyVoider wrote:1. left side is what is currently known, right is what hardcoded in, the long strings are md5 hashes, if you go file/check version it either adds it to the left as a new entry with new md5 or tells you which version you have. only the version wont tell you WHICH crack of that version you have :P so thats what its was for

Ok, but...why is some of the information it's displaying wrong (see my previous explanation). And, why doesn't it change if I remove the dll cracks? Also, what is "DLC One"? I need to be able to explain on the Wiki so people understand what the different lines correspond to :)

WarrantyVoider wrote:2. one of the very first tools, all it does is uncompressing .xxx (xbox) files and renaming them pcc, because they have the same format, just different endianess, but xbox tools where never really asked for, so I never continued it, it could be deleted

3. & 4. http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/me3-dlc-patcher-t374.html its old, it was the dlc patcher before I made the binkw dlls, this program simply injects my code to patch the game, the dlls do that automatically, so use them instead

Oh, ok. I'll put these in the new sticky post for deletion for the next SVN.

WarrantyVoider wrote:5. it does what it says, it sets the ingame language, for ppl like me that have the version with all languages you would have to otherwise reinstall it all the time. btw all it does it changing a single registry entry (different path between 32bit and 64bit, thats why that) so dont blame me for the game not having the files^^

Lol, I'm not blaming you. Ok, so this only works if you have a version of the game that has ALL localized PCCs? That would make sense. But, to be sure I understand, the game has all PCCs for INT/FRA/DEU/ITA present at the same time? I didn't know there was a game version like that out there >.>

WarrantyVoider wrote:6. well I almost expected this confusion: afcs alone have no sound information other that the sound itself, so the afc converter scans for signatures and tries to brute-force extract everything. soundplorer on the other hand can read the sound assets and so knows the offsets, sizes and what you need: the name... obviously you cant have both that easily so I made 2 tools. afc extractor for raw afc unpacking, soundplorer to explorer sounds by ingame references, like said assets
That makes sense. What about coding the ability to extract all wavs pointed to in a PCC from Soundplorer, though? That would basically duplicate the functionality in the other tool, right?

Thanks for taking time to respond, wv :D
giftfish

Re: [Article] Utilities

Postby WarrantyVoider » 02 Jan 2015, 20:25

1. I dont see anything wrong, the names where just given by me, its the hash over the exe that counts, you can rename it how you like. the idea stays the same, get the exe's md5 and find or add it. dlc one, no idea (first release?! no idea)

5. simply check which dlls are in the base folder of me3 (f.e. GDFBinary_de_DE.dll for german, GDFBinary_fr_FR.dll for french,...) and if files like ...LOC_DEU.pcc, ...LOC_INT.pcc, ... exist (localized pccs)

6. a pcc can have sounds from multiple afcs, so you would only extract what the pcc references. An extract-all-function was never asked for, also why would one batch export them all, when you can extract the afcs faster? (no processing of pccs)

np, always here for questions^^

greetz WV
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 20:27

giftfish wrote:
WarrantyVoider wrote:3. & 4. http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/me3-dlc-patcher-t374.html its old, it was the dlc patcher before I made the binkw dlls, this program simply injects my code to patch the game, the dlls do that automatically, so use them instead

Oh, ok. I'll put these in the new sticky post for deletion for the next SVN.
Just to be clear, so both the DLL Injector and the Patcher are deprecated? Or, just the Patcher?
giftfish

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 20:31

WarrantyVoider wrote:1. I dont see anything wrong, the names where just given by me, its the hash over the exe that counts, you can rename it how you like. the idea stays the same, get the exe's md5 and find or add it. dlc one, no idea (first release?! no idea)
LOL. Ok.

WarrantyVoider wrote:5. simply check which dlls are in the base folder of me3 (f.e. GDFBinary_de_DE.dll for german, GDFBinary_fr_FR.dll for french,...) and if files like ...LOC_DEU.pcc, ...LOC_INT.pcc, ... exist (localized pccs)
This is really cool, WV. I bet a lot of people don't know they can change the language so easily with the toolset (if they have the right install). Hopefully, the wiki will help them understand :)

Also...weird. I just noticed the DLC have Japanese but the main game doesn't. I'll have to explain that on the wiki a little bit.
giftfish

Postby WarrantyVoider » 02 Jan 2015, 20:31

dll injector injects dll at any time after game start, launcher first launches game and tries to instantly inject my code... both are obsolete with the binkw dlls, as these get loaded by the game itself at startup, so gurantueed 100% success rate^^

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 21:09

WarrantyVoider wrote:5. simply check which dlls are in the base folder of me3 (f.e. GDFBinary_de_DE.dll for german, GDFBinary_fr_FR.dll for french,...) and if files like ...LOC_DEU.pcc, ...LOC_INT.pcc, ... exist (localized pccs)

One more question. Does the dll have to be present for languages like Spanish, Polish, and Russian that have subtitles only (no overdub)? I'm assuming so, but need to be sure.
giftfish

Postby WarrantyVoider » 02 Jan 2015, 21:12

dll is for localization of the game executable and the LOC pccs are for the engine and game content (so pretty much all a player gets to see) and you need both, because the dll will change the exe's behaviour to use different LOC pccs :P

greetz WV
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

Postby giftfish » 02 Jan 2015, 21:28

WarrantyVoider wrote:dll is for localization of the game executable and the LOC pccs are for the engine and game content (so pretty much all a player gets to see) and you need both, because the dll will change the exe's behaviour to use different LOC pccs :P

Ah. I knew about the PCCs, but not the game's executable. The POL/RUS/ESN versions don't have localized PCCs to load in the international version, they only use localized subtitles. Which was why I wasn't sure if the dll was necessary.

giftfish

Next

Return to Wiki Development