Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

ME3 Normals and Diffuse maps

Dedicated area for texture and mesh-related tutorials. This includes modder's tutorials such as how to create your own TFC files. Do NOT post help requests in tutorials; use the relevant help board below.

ME3 Normals and Diffuse maps

Postby Tarshana » 14 Oct 2016, 07:03

Earlier this evening Mohofish and I were talking about mods and such and she brought up something about textures and how normals actually do matter. I had issues with them a few weeks ago so while I am waiting for a batch of stuff to be sent out, I popped open my Photoshop to muck around with my normals for the male faces and scalps. Previously in A LOT the male face seams were really visible and it was annoying. I noticed in vanilla there are seams. Why is this?

So I grabbed a vanilla diffuse texture and with the nvidia tool I set the depth really high (like 8.8), then I smoothed out the very harsh line where the edges are and did an overlay onto a vanilla normal. The seams do not match up at all.

I circled the top right corner to show how they do not match up. Now armed with this info I think I can make way better faces for ME3. I have no idea if this has been posted before (my search was limited) so either this will help others or I am just repeating what has already been said. In any case, I will now feel better about making better normals and understand where they should match up and why they do not.

And with that I am going to go mix another batch of ointments.
Tarshana
User

Have thanks: 4 time

Return to TexMesh Tutorials