WV | Animation Explorer

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.
WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

02 Mar 2013, 17:53 #1

So far I found out, that the animations can be viewed as trees and start with an AnimTree object, so I started a new tool called "Animation Explorer" where I want to read these connections in, today I started with AnimTree itself:

more will come soon, now on SVN for testing :D

greetz WV
always backup your files!
mess with the best or die like the rest!
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

02 Mar 2013, 22:22 #2

well looks like Im on the right track...
[+] spoiler
greetz WV
"I tried everything!" - "mkay, please list that..." ; please dont pm me for help, we have a help section

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

03 Mar 2013, 22:48 #3

here an overview of the import/export process and how you get your animation out of it:

greetz WV

cfs3corsair
User

27 Jun 2013, 06:28 #4

Hm animations... And wow guess this thread is old. Still, guess that means progress since then. Any chance this could be applicable to the SP gore problem I posted some months ago?

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

27 Jun 2013, 11:53 #5

dunno, no one has used the PSA import/export yet... Also animations are currently limited to the original length

greetz WV

The Fob
Modder

20 Aug 2013, 01:46 #6

Finally got a chance to test it yesterday.
In principle it seems to work but I did encounter some difficulties.

My main testing file was BioD_EDI00.pcc. I exported the mesh to a psk and imported that psk directly into UDK.
I then exported a couple of animations into psas and imported those into UDK as well.
It seemed to work for some animations, such as the pistol cover animation, I could play that one flawlessly in UDK. However, when I tried to import the melee animation, for example, UDK complained that some bones in the animation were missing (e.g. "headbase") and the animation was screwed up after import. Now, that may very well be doe to the fact that I only had EDI's body mesh, not her head. Mazbe this animation contains keys for both the body and the head and the pistol_cover animation only has keys for the body which is why it worked.
I am not sure how to properly combine body and head for UDK, maybe I have to go through 3DsMax to do it? (sorry, not really that familiar with the mesh setup for characters in ME3). I only ahd about 15 minutes to test this last night, so maybe I'll give it a shot again tonight and see if I can work it out.

Oh, one other thing: While importing standard animations into UDK works well, importing cinematic animations (such as EDI's hug during the memorial scene) presents another problem. In these cinematic animations, the location of the character seems to be encoded in the animation keys. This means that as soon as you want e.g. Matinee to play the animation, the character's location in the map is offset from it's original point by whatever it's location in the ME3 map was (and good luck finding it after that :)). It would be cool to have an option before animation export to set the location of the "god" bone for every frame to XYZ=0,0,0, so that the character stays where it is.

But anyway, things seem to work in principle. Excellent work WV. Thanks heaps!!!

I'll update here if I get these jumbled animations figured out.

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

20 Aug 2013, 10:58 #7

well in theory I can simply leave out the tracks for the bones that are offending and sure moving the god bone would help alot, lets see what I can do... also http://www.gildor.org/smf/index.php?topic=1656.0

greetz WV

ruggly
User

21 Aug 2013, 21:31 #8

I tried exporting the synthesis dive animations into a .psa, but it didn't seem to work. I'm not sure why yet, but I think it may have something to do with being split into many different animations sets?

Here's a screen of it

ruggly
User

21 Aug 2013, 21:33 #9

I don't know where the edit button for posts is, but the reason behind me trying to get the dive animation is to try and make the synthesis seem less stupid to me.

WarrantyVoider
Emeritus

21 Aug 2013, 22:08 #10

first off: the-edit-button-t234.html
then, why dont you select an AnimSet from the tree and goto Transfer/Export to PSA?

greetz WV

PS: most of these animations have only 2 sequences, that means 2 frames, so yeah, its split up