Welcome
Ladies and Gents:

These forums are now closed and registration disabled.

Please join us at our new forum on Proboards. Our hope is that these new forums are more stable, provide more and better features, and allow continuation of the project forums in a safer, more secure, long term environment.

me3explorer.proboards.com

--The ME3Explorer Team

WV | Plot Database

Development board for ME3Explorer tools. Please try to keep discussions for each tool inside its own thread.

Re: Plot Database

Postby FemShep » 01 Apr 2016, 01:29

For navigability (is that even a word?) purposes, we're already running low on column width space. If we keep adding columns we will have to start scrolling left/right.

Also the search feature works across all fields (except game and type)

The import CSV imports INTO the currently loaded table rather than a new one. If a duplicate ID + game is found, any changed values from the importing entry overwrite the ones existing. So for highest priority import, import it last. Don't know how useful it will be.

Also, if you are including a default DB, would it be helpful for it to attempt to auto open the included one? That way when the tool opens it won't be blank.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3 Mod Manager, the civilized way of installing and managing ME3 mods.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Have thanks: 76 time

Postby The Fob » 01 Apr 2016, 01:49

Looks pretty good to me on the screenshot. I wouldn't add more columns I think. Too much clutter and we may not be able to keep a super consistent categorizing sceme anyway because some variables are e.g. used in multiple missions.

Makes me wonder by the way, would it be possible to run a scanner through all ME3 files, look for SeqAct_CheckState and SeqAct_SetState objectsand make a list automatically? Almost (if not) all of the Check- and SetState objects I see in the sequence editor have comments, these could be imported into the State fields, the file names where these are found (first) could be imported into the Category field.

I realize, this will still miss heaps of variables since a lot of them are embedded in conditionals but still, might give us an impressive list to start with.

In any case, I am happy to add to a google document of course.
The Fob
Modder

Have thanks: 212 time

Postby giftfish » 01 Apr 2016, 02:13

FemShep wrote:Also, if you are including a default DB, would it be helpful for it to attempt to auto open the included one? That way when the tool opens it won't be blank.

Yep, that was the idea. Pretty sure I mentioned that in the OP in the Git thread.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Have thanks: 75 time

Postby giftfish » 01 Apr 2016, 14:14

Still thinking a lot about the GUI.

Something else that might be handy is a "Date Added" column. This way, folks who are keeping their own DB, can quickly hone in on new additions to the default DB and update their own with the same information (or verify that they already have it).
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby FemShep » 01 Apr 2016, 14:55

How often are people going to add new entries if we ship one that's already like half done? I don't know how much the tool is used beyond the content mod creators.
ME3Tweaks has modding guides, tools, forums for mods, a modding wiki, and ModMaker, an online mod creation tool.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby giftfish » 01 Apr 2016, 17:15

FemShep wrote:How often are people going to add new entries if we ship one that's already like half done? I don't know how much the tool is used beyond the content mod creators.

Discovering new plots is an ongoing process. We actually know very, very few of the plots for the games. We probably know ME1's the least. New ones will probably be added in fits and spurts, as people work on their mods.

My point with the date added field is we want people to be able to use the tool and not feel beholden to the Google Doc. Heavy users will probably want to stick to editing within the tool, then periodically dump it to a CSV and copy only the new plots to the Google Doc so they can be added to the default toolset document. More typical users may not add any new plots themselves, but will be happy when new ones are addedwith new revs of the toolset.

I don't think the tool is used very much at all -- I haven't even been using it. The GUI wasn't user-friendly, and to have to start a DB from scratch is a chore. Instead we have all us content modders -- Kinko, AVPen, Fob, Deager, JohnP, myself, Nephthysmoon, etc -- all locating plots individually, and no good way to share them with each other or any other toolset users.

Really, plots are basic game information. Having an inventory of them in the toolset is something that should have been done ages ago; it likely would have saved modders a significant amount of time.

I've shot PMs to a couple people just to make sure they've seen the thread, so hopefully we'll get a bit more feedback today.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby FemShep » 01 Apr 2016, 20:02

I see. Would it be better as date added or date modified? And should the user be able to edit this field or should it be auto populated based on their local time when generating the row?

And to twist the arm of other modders I will make it store as month day year :^)
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby giftfish » 01 Apr 2016, 20:26

FemShep wrote:I see. Would it be better as date added or date modified? And should the user be able to edit this field or should it be auto populated based on their local time when generating the row?

And to twist the arm of other modders I will make it store as month day year :^)

Date Modified is probably a good call.

If it can autopopulate, I'd say that's great; less work for the user. Probably make it the very first column on the left (sortable, obviously).
giftfish
Toolset Developer

Postby FemShep » 01 Apr 2016, 20:46

I'm pretty sure all the columns in this grid view control are sortable by default.
ME3Tweaks Facebook Page
FemShep
Modder

Postby giftfish » 01 Apr 2016, 20:58

FemShep wrote:I'm pretty sure all the columns in this grid view control are sortable by default.

Actually, they aren't... just reported some on Git, along with a couple other issues and changes needed.
giftfish
Toolset Developer

PreviousNext

Return to ME3Explorer Toolset Development