Zaeed mod 2: Electric Boogaloo

Complimentary board where content modders may host dev threads for mods destined for release. Communicate information, find testers, release Betas, etc.
SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

27 Feb 2016, 05:23 #1

I'm revamping my Zaeed Dialogue Restoration Mod a bit, mainly to have better cameras. Once I'm finished, I'll release a version that's compatible with BackOff as well.

Here's what I've got so far:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/36w6as9fcy66n ... D.zip?dl=0

That's the mod, as well as a save standing right in front of Zaeed. Very sorry about the lack of a video, but Fraps is being completely uncooperative and refusing to acknowledge ME3's existence.

Changes:
  • Camera angles are somewhat decent, and don't change depending on where you are when you start the conversation.
  • Removed the part at the beginning where Zaeed threatens the batarian, because there doesn't actually seem to be a batarian there. He talks at an empty patch of floor, and the whole thing looks pretty stupid actually. Not sure why I never noticed this before.
  • Added an animation of Shepard crossing her arms and leaning back when she says "If?" (In the branch "The Reaper's Return" after you talk to him about Cerberus)
  • Restored another line. If you exit the conversation right after Zaeed promises to lend a hand in the war, Shepard says "I'll look out for you", instead of the standard "See you around Zaeed". (Probably no one will ever hear this though because they'll want to keep talking to him about other stuff)
So, if you feel like testing it out and giving some feedback, I'd be grateful.

One thing I still want to do is add more animation to the conversation. Doing it on just the one line was tedious in the extreme, but it is doable. I am somewhat limited, in that I can only use the animations that are already in the file for other conversations. Unless there's a way to add new animations from some other file? If there's a way to do that I would be very interested to hear about it.

You might notice that Zaeed is always in a super close up or semi-close up. This is because he, for some reason, thinks it's a great idea to look about a foot to the right of Shepard's head when talking to her. Only way I could figure out to fix this was to always frame the shot so you can't see Shepard, allowing you to assume he's actually being a normal person and looking at her.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Feb 2016, 14:40 #2

@Sir --

Re: Animations -- I'm pretty certain Kinko knows about this stuff from EGM. I assume you haven't just tried cloning in objects from other files? The animsequence, bioanimsetdata, and biodynamic animset objects for the desired animation? Along with necessary imports? Usually the connections between the objects are very straightforward in PCCEd2. Cloning is easy as pie in ME3Creator since it adjusts the name list for you, too. I will probably want to do this for the next version of TM, so I was planning on giving it a go once I get done with my mad wiki editing session :/

Re: Batarian removal -- I was wondering something about that, lol. Good change.

Re: Looking at Shepard -- You can add Look At tracks for Zaeed and set them to "Player". Then he'll look directly at Shepard. However, you'll have to add the track to every single Interp... I think. You can cheat a bit and only clone in one L@ track and use it for ALL lines, but then you still need to hex edit every interp and at it to the line. There's also issues I've found with certain conversations, where the speakers will even have to have Look@ tracks added to Shepard's lines, otherwise, they will end up looking away, and then turning back again at the start of their next time. From what I can tell, this actually shouldn't happen but it does. You'd have to try it with Zaeed to see what happens. Start with the first or second line; if you're really lucky, it'll stick around for the entire convo.

So... would this be a good time to ask you to implement a feature that allows cloning of entire interpgroups with a single button click? :D There's a reason why BO took 17 months to create. Matinee editing is very tedious, as you know. Much, MUCH, easier with your Interp Viewer though. I actually had to resort to graph paper and colored pencils with mapping out the first Interp for Thane's romance scene last January. What I created looks pretty much exactly like the Interp Viewer, lol.

Should have time to take a look today and get you some feedback :)

SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

27 Feb 2016, 16:21 #3

giftfish wrote:@Sir --
So... would this be a good time to ask you to implement a feature that allows cloning of entire interpgroups with a single button click?
Oh I'll definitely be looking into ways to automate this nonsense as soon as I get back to my coding computer. I'm far too lazy to do this all the old fashioned way.
giftfish wrote:Re: Animations -- I'm pretty certain Kinko knows about this stuff from EGM. I assume you haven't just tried cloning in objects from other files? The animsequence, bioanimsetdata, and biodynamic animset objects for the desired animation? Along with necessary imports? Usually the connections between the objects are very straightforward in PCCEd2. Cloning is easy as pie in ME3Creator since it adjusts the name list for you, too.
Adjusts the name list? That sounds extremely useful. Never really used ME3Creator, but I guess I'll have to take a look.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Feb 2016, 16:27 #4

SirCxyrtyx wrote:
giftfish wrote:@Sir --
So... would this be a good time to ask you to implement a feature that allows cloning of entire interpgroups with a single button click?
Oh I'll definitely be looking into ways to automate this nonsense as soon as I get back to my coding computer. I'm far too lazy to do this all the old fashioned way.
Oh, sure, I spend 17 months with the tedious editing. I see how it is... :P <3

Yay for automation!
SirCxyrtyx wrote:[
giftfish wrote:Re: Animations -- I'm pretty certain Kinko knows about this stuff from EGM. I assume you haven't just tried cloning in objects from other files? The animsequence, bioanimsetdata, and biodynamic animset objects for the desired animation? Along with necessary imports? Usually the connections between the objects are very straightforward in PCCEd2. Cloning is easy as pie in ME3Creator since it adjusts the name list for you, too.
Adjusts the name list? That sounds extremely useful. Never really used ME3Creator, but I guess I'll have to take a look.
Oh yeah. Everything gets added automatically if you clone within the file, or clone in from a different file. Cloning in PCCEd2 should probably be removed entirely -- unless Kinko can provide a reason not to... maybe with DLC files. For base game files my impression is that it's 100% deprecated at this point, and the process for it is simply way, way too confusing. ME3Creator is literally a single click. Select + Clone. It's an incredibly powerful, awesome tool.

SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

27 Feb 2016, 18:03 #5

I don't think the cloning between files thing works too well for BioAnimSetData. It's got two arrayprops that are full of names, and ME3Creator understandably doesn't figure that out.

Do you know if it would be possible to just add the AnimSequence and BioAnimSetData objects I want as Imports, if I know that they exist in another file that will be loaded by the game at the same time? Is that how Imports work? Is there a way to add Imports in the toolset?

giftfish
Toolset Developer

27 Feb 2016, 18:23 #6

SirCxyrtyx wrote:I don't think the cloning between files thing works too well for BioAnimSetData. It's got two arrayprops that are full of names, and ME3Creator understandably doesn't figure that out.
Hm. Is there any way we can make ME3Creator figure that out? I know arrays are super fucky in the toolset right now, but I remember Kinko talking about the amount of work, and I'm guessing that was it. Copying animations across PCCs would be... well... awesome. I know Heff has a library he's been working on for a while. You guys need to hook up and science the shit out of that :D
SirCxyrtyx wrote:Do you know if it would be possible to just add the AnimSequence and BioAnimSetData objects I want as Imports, if I know that they exist in another file that will be loaded by the game at the same time? Is that how Imports work? Is there a way to add Imports in the toolset?
This is a good question. What you're talking about sounds like level streaming, which is what JohnP does a lot of. I don't know that the file will be called automatically, just due to the presence of the import. The loading of the level that the import is in may still need to be handled by the relevant BioP file (sometimes BioD), b/c otherwise... how does the game know where to import the asset from?

It would be a very interesting test. Looking forward to hearing about it! (CwutIdidthar? :D)

Kinkojiro
Modder

28 Feb 2016, 00:05 #7

I successfully copied animations but all the names had to be done by hand and have to be in exactly the same order as the original... Not fun. The bulk of the performances in EGM are done by clever sequencing between files rather than copying animations. For a cutscene that wouldn't work of course.

The binary data seems to work fine if you get the names sorted.

Imports are very tricky. Load order becomes important. Biop and SFXGame imports are the most stable. Imports between biod or bioA files are not stable. Even if you can get them to work, as soon as it is a slower PC or more textures the imports get dropped.

giftfish
Toolset Developer

28 Feb 2016, 00:11 #8

@Kinko -- Hrm, that last bit is interesting.

I'm crossing my fingers that Heff comes up with a way, lol.

SirCxyrtyx
Toolset Lead

28 Feb 2016, 00:29 #9

Kinkojiro wrote:Imports are very tricky. Load order becomes important. Biop and SFXGame imports are the most stable. Imports between biod or bioA files are not stable. Even if you can get them to work, as soon as it is a slower PC or more textures the imports get dropped.
Even if the import was from, say, BioD_CitHub_UnderBellyP3.pcc to BioD_CitHub_UnderBellyP3_LOC_INT.pcc? I mean, those two sort of have to be loaded at the same time right?

And how does one actually add an Import?

Kinkojiro
Modder

28 Feb 2016, 01:08 #10

LOC_INT -> BIOD is stable. Never tried the other way around.

The easiest way is in ME3Cr import an import from any file. Then go to the import table and change the name, class, links etc.